These recipes are courtesy of Katelynn Karkau, Makenna Griffith and Elizabeth Troia. The team prepared the recipes for the Michigan State University Extension/Isabella County Farm Bureau Teen “Chopped” Competition at the Isabella Community Soup Kitchen on November 4, 2017.
- 2 pounds Beef tips – cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups Kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 3 cups Beef broth
- 1 Tbs Corn starch
- 1/4 cup Water
- Trim beef & cut into 1 inch cubes, salt and pepper.
- Dredge in flour.
- Preheat large frying pan with 2-3 TBS oil. Place beef in pan – brown.
- Place browned meat into pressure cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to pressure cooker.
- Place lid on the pressure cooker & close into the locked position.
- Heat pressure cooker over high heat and bring to full pressure. Reduce heat to medium/low while maintaining pressure. Cook for 20 minutes.
- When time is up, let the pressure come down naturally by removing from heat, leaving lid on cooker and allowing the visual pressure indicator to drop.
- Open pressure cooker – stand back as steam releases.
- If thickening – place over high heat, bring to a boil. Add corn starch & water mixture, stir.
- Serve over cherry brown rice.
Cherry brown rice
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1 cup Dried cherries
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- In medium saucepan add water and dried cherries. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice, onion, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Boil 5 minutes with cover on pan.
- Remove from heat, stir. With cover on, let set for 5 minutes.
- Before serving, stir with fork.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2020 by the Michigan Ag Council