Collard green and ham hock egg rolls
Pair this recipe with barbecue ribs and curried coleslaw from Jimmy Lee Hill, Executive Chef at Saffron Café in Lakeland Correctional Facility. The recipe was prepared for the Taste of Elegance Competition hosted by Michigan Pork Producers Association at the Michigan Restaurant Show. Chef Hill earned the People’s Choice Award for his creations.
- 1 cup Prepared collard greens
- 1/2 cup Ham hock meat
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 package Egg roll wrappers
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Place prepared collard greens into a bowl and set aside.
- Stir pulled ham hock meat, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Mix into the collard greens.
- Lay egg roll wrappers on a flat surface in the shape of a diamond. Place a large spoonful of the collard green mixture in the center. Fold the bottom corner and opposing sides over the collard green mixture; roll up wrapper toward the top corner. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers and meat mixture.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or a large saucepan. Place a few egg rolls in the hot oil, seam side down. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown (2-3 minutes). Repeat with remaining rolls.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2020 by the Michigan Ag Council