The milk, cheese, yogurt and other Michigan dairy products you enjoy every day are both delicious and local. Michigan dairy farmers are committed to supplying the safest, highest quality dairy foods for Michigan families.
Michigan dairy facts:
- There are nearly1,500 dairy farms in all but 10 Michigan counties
- Michigan is home to approximately 424,000 dairy cows
- Michigan dairy cows produced approximately 11.17 billion pounds of milk
- Michigan ranks first in the nation for production of milk per cow and sixth for total milk production
- Michigan’s dairy industry contributes $15.7 billion to the state’s economy
- Michigan’s average dairy cow produces over 26,000 pounds of milk each year
- Milk, cheese and yogurt are chock full of calcium, potassium, phosphorous, protein, vitamins A, D and B12, riboflavin and niacin
- Three daily servings of, nutrient-rich dairy foods can improve overall nutrition, help maintain a healthy weight and lower risk of chronic diseases
- Known as nature’s sports drink, chocolate milk in an excellent recovery drink after exercise
- As part of a healthy lifestyle, dairy foods may help reduce the risk of hypertension, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis
To learn more visit milkmeansmore.org.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2021 by the Michigan Ag Council