Meet Kristi Keilen, a fourth-generation dairy farmer, who milks 450 cows three times a day and raises crops like corn, soybeans and wheat, with her husband and their three-year-old son. Kristi and Carla have a fast-paced conversation about:
- How much help is a three-year-old on the farm?
- What cows eat, straight from a dairy nutritionist
- What she does for fun
- Outfits she and her son live in
- Home architecture that keeps the mess out of sight and out of foot-traffic
- Being employers in a non-glamorous setting and in tough economic times
- Her favorite Sunday morning tradition
- The farthest she’s traveled away from home and her family’s favorite Michigan beach spots
- The most interesting thing she’s served in a bun
- A philosophical question answered matter-of-factly: What is a GMO?
Sites mentioned in this podcast:
- Once Upon a Dairy: https://www.facebook.com/onceuponadairy1/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/KristiKeilen
- Family fun at the farm: https://www.facebook.com/FamilyFunAtTheFarm/
- UDIM & Great Dairy Adventure: https://www.milkmeansmore.org/great-dairy-adventure/
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2019 by the Michigan Ag Council