Sweet and Savory Michigan Baked Beans
Enjoy the nourishing goodness of Michigan Beans in this delicious baked bean recipe!
- 1-1/3 cups dried Michigan navy or white kidney beans
3 slices bacon, chopped (omit if making vegan)
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Michigan maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup each, apple juice and water
To prepare beans by soaking, follow the traditional or quick method which can be found here.
To prepare beans in an Instant Pot, follow the video guidelines here.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the chopped bacon and onion. Cook until onions begin to soften and bacon is slightly crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, molasses, brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt, apple juice and water. Stir in bacon and onion mixture and cooked beans. Mix gently to combine.
- Pour bean mixture into a 2-quart oven-safe dish. Beans should be covered in the liquid mixture. If needed, a bit more water can be added. Cover dish with foil or an oven-safe lid.
- Bake covered for 2 hours. Uncover and bake for another 30-45 minutes, until thickened.
Visit MichiganBean.com for more cooking tips and recipe inspiration!
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2021 by the Michigan Ag Council