Olivia and her family own DeVooght Farms and run DeVooght’s General Store in Skandia, where they sell food they produce, as well as products from other local farmers. Their dairy barn roof collapsed in 2019 after 14 feet of snowfall, Olivia had to decide if they wanted to rebuild or quit altogether. They continued to press on, because as Olivia said, “The milk prices aren’t good, but the lifestyle is.” She and her husband Craig just welcomed a new baby, Hazel Anne.
Listen as Olivia talks about:
- How milking robots work, and what interesting behaviors cows have
- How their farm and general store complement each other
- One of the worst days of her life after a month of shoveling
- Her Earth Day baby and the perfect picture
- What you learn when you go from raising 40 chickens to 600
Mentioned in podcast:
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2021 by the Michigan Ag Council