Sautéed Beef Tips in a Carrot Taco, with Spicy Maple Cherry glaze
This sautéed beef tips in a carrot taco recipe, paired with the rice balls appetizer, is from Meghan Schutt, Paige Schutt and Natalie Seeburger. The team prepared the recipe for the Michigan State University Extension/Isabella County Farm Bureau Teen “Chopped” Competition at the Isabella Community Soup Kitchen on November 4, 2017. The team earned the “Best Presentation” award for their creation.
Time: 45 minutes
- 2/3 cup Water, Maple Syrup
- 4 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. Dried Cherries
- 6 Tbsp. Flour
- 3 Cups Grated Carrots
- A pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 package Beef Tips
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Chile pepper powder
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Ginger
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 of Onion Julienned
- 1 carrot Julienned
- 2 cups Kale, lightly chopped
- ½ cup Brown Rice
- 1 Egg
- Mix in a small saucepan: water, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and dried cherries and put on a low simmer to reduce by ¾ until it coats a spoon. Mix in Chile powder at the end for spice.
- Add flour, grated carrots, salt & pepper and grated parmesan, 1 egg and small cup of finally chopped kale into a bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit & line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Form carrot tortillas into desired size and roll thinly, and place on parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes. When done, pull from the oven and quickly set on a 1” diameter roller or a taco holder to form tacos.
- Slice beef tips into thin slices, cross cut and warm oil and butter in a pan. When pan is hot, add in garlic & ginger to flavor the oil, then add in beef tips and cook to a medium rare and pull from pan.
- After removing the beef tips, deglaze the pan with Soy Sauce and add 1 tbsp. of butter and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Quickly toss in vegetables and ½ cup of rice and fry in the sauce for a minutes and then add the beef tips back in and give a quick toss and remove from heat.
- Insert beef & vegetables into the taco and drizzle over the maple cherry reduction and sprinkle on cheese if desired. Plate up taco holders over a fresh slice of Kale and set a slice of lime on the side. Sprinkle pepper flake and drizzle plate with rest of glaze to dress the plate.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2020 by the Michigan Ag Council