Scott Powell is the nursery manager at Dutchman Tree Farms in Manton. Just before the dissertation for his PhD, Scott chose to go into business with his wife Laura’s family. He’s had a great time working with nine family members, an entire crew of workers, and wearing a tie only once – at a wedding. He and his family just went to Spanish school in Guatemala, compete in rodeos, and continue to battle their only real competition … plastic trees.
Listen as Scott talks about:
- The goat ministry in the jungle
- How everyone in his family gets their own Christmas tree – seven in all!
- Where he went as a wilderness guide in the youth therapy program, and what he learned
- How one tree’s genetic test can last one grower’s lifetime
- His favorite part of Christmas tree farming, plus how put them up so they don’t fall over
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2020 by the Michigan Ag Council