This recipe for autumn soup with crouton leaves, autumn berry drizzle and cinnamon chantilly cream comes from Abigail Wilson, Emily Wilson, Elizabeth Ratkos and Miriam Kepner. The team prepared the recipe for the Michigan State University Extension/Isabella County Farm Bureau Teen “Chopped” on November 3, 2018. The team earned the best presentation award for their creation.
- 1/2 Butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 cup Sugar
- 3 cups or less Water
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 6 slices Whole wheat bread
- 4 tablespoons Salted butter
- 1 tablespoon Autumn berry jam
- 2 tablespoons Water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the butternut squash into cubes and toss with the olive oil. Then spread the squash in a thin layer on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 25 minutes or until soft enough to blend with a stick blender. Remove from oven, and place in a pot.
- Blend with a stick blender, adding water until a little thicker than desired consistency, add balsamic vinegar and blend. Add heavy whipping cream except a 1⁄2 cup.
- Warm soup on stove.
- Cut bread into leaf shapes using cookie cutters. Dip leaf shape bread into melted butter.
- Bake in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes or until the croutons are browned and crunchy.
Cinnamon Chantilly Cream:
- Whip 1⁄2 cup of cream till soft peaks form.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar and the 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Whip until stiff peaks.
- Dish soup into bowls.
- Float one crouton on the side of the soup to keep the cream from the heat of the soup.
- Place the other two croutons upward to add more height.
- Pipe on the cream in a spiral or desired placement.
- Thin jam with water and microwave for thirty seconds, stopping every 10 seconds to stir.
- Drizzle over soup, then serve and enjoy.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2021 by the Michigan Ag Council