Michigan chicken, or broilers, are a lean and healthy source of protein grown by farmers throughout the state. Today, Michigan farmers raise nearly 9 million chickens.
Michigan chicken facts:
- Michigan currently produces approximately 8.87million broilers (chickens bred and raised for meat production).
- There are 20 chicken farms throughout Michigan; several are Amish farms
- Three ounces of chicken has about 25 grams of high-quality protein
- Chicken is a budget-friendly source of protein, costing an average of only $1.25 per pound based on national averages
- Chicken without the skin is naturally low in fat, with only 3 grams per three ounce cooked portion
- Chicken is a good source of iron
- Chicken is low in sodium
For more information, visit Michigan Allied Poultry Industries
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2020 by the Michigan Ag Council