Michigan chicken, or broilers, are a lean and healthy source of protein grown by farmers throughout the state. Today, Michigan farmers raise nearly 9 million chickens.
Click the button to download our fact sheet and find out when you can find the freshest locally grown products!
Michigan Chicken Facts
- Michigan currently produces approximately 8.87million broilers (chickens bred and raised for meat production).
- There are 20 chicken farms throughout Michigan; several are Amish farms
- Three ounces of chicken has about 25 grams of high-quality protein
- Chicken is a budget-friendly source of protein, costing an average of only $1.25 per pound based on national averages
- Chicken without the skin is naturally low in fat, with only 3 grams per three ounce cooked portion
- Chicken is a good source of iron
- Chicken is low in sodium