The milk, cheese, yogurt and other Michigan dairy products you enjoy every day are both delicious and local. Michigan dairy farmers are committed to supplying the safest, highest quality dairy foods for Michigan families.
Click the button to download our fact sheet and find out when you can find the freshest locally grown products!
Michigan Dairy Facts
- There are over 1,000 dairy farms in all but 10 Michigan counties
- Michigan is home to approximately 430,000 dairy cows
- Michigan dairy cows produced approximately 11.17 billion pounds of milk
- Michigan ranks first in the nation for production of milk per cow and sixth for total milk production
- Michigan’s dairy industry contributes $15.7 billion to the state’s economy
- Michigan’s average dairy cow produces over 27,000 pounds of milk each year; that’s over 3,100 gallons
- Milk, cheese and yogurt are chock full of calcium, potassium, phosphorous, protein, vitamins A, D and B12, riboflavin and niacin
- Three daily servings of, nutrient-rich dairy foods can improve overall nutrition, help maintain a healthy weight and lower risk of chronic diseases
- Known as nature’s sports drink, chocolate milk in an excellent recovery drink after exercise
- As part of a healthy lifestyle, dairy foods may help reduce the risk of hypertension, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis
To learn more visit milkmeansmore.org.