Michigan’s family-owned egg farmers raise enough eggs each year to supply each Michigander with 23 dozen.
Michigan eggs can be found at local diners, large restaurant chains, grocery stores and food service entities. Michigan eggs are produced by laying hens in eight farms across the state who are cared for at all times to provide the most nutritious product for you.
Michigan Egg facts:
- Michigan ranks 6th in the nation in the production of eggs
- There are 8 family-owned laying farms producing eggs in the state of Michigan
- Michigan’s egg farmers serve your local grocer, large restaurants, the local diner and the food service industry (liquid eggs).
- Michigan egg farmers supply eggs to all McDonald’s restaurants east of the Mississippi River
- There are 15 million laying hens in Michigan today
- These hens produce 227 million dozen eggs per year. This represents 23 dozen for every person in Michigan.
- At retail value, the eggs produced have a value of $350 million
- The industry directly employs about 1,600 people and creates additional employment in related industries like transportation, processing, retailing and more
- The total economic value to the Michigan economy is $625 million
- Nationally, each person consumes about 21 dozen eggs a year. With Michigan production of 23 dozen per person, we have a supply of two dozen eggs per person over typical consumption
- Eggs pack plenty of vitamins and minerals for only 70 calories
- The protein in eggs is the highest-quality protein found in any food
- Eggs contain lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that help prevent macular degeneration
- Egg yolks are an excellent source of choline, an essential nutrient that contributes to fetal brain development and adult brain functioning
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2019 by the Michigan Ag Council