Do you know where your baked potato came from? Or that bag of potato chips? How about Michigan!
Michigan grows both table potatoes and Michigan potatoes for processing. Fresh Michigan potatoes are available from August to November, while they are available in their processed form virtually all year.
Michigan Potato facts:
- Michigan is the nation’s leading producer of potatoes for potato chip processing
- In volume and sales, potatoes are Michigan’s leading produce commodity
- Michigan potatoes generated 735,000 tons of potatoes and $156 million in farm gate sales in 2008 Potatoes are harvested from as far south as Monroe County to as far north as Iron County in the Upper Peninsula
- Montcalm is the single largest potato production county in Michigan
- Potatoes are fat-free, rich in potassium and an excellent source of fiber
- Potatoes contain half of the daily requirement of vitamin C
To learn more visit the Michigan Potato Industry Commission.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2018 by the Michigan Ag Council