Squash Soup with Apple Cider Reduction
- 2 lbs medium squash of choice
- 1 large yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 small stalk of celery roughly chopped
- A cloves of garlic
- Oil of choice as needed 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground ginger fresh
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg fresh
- Tiny pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 cups fresh apple cider
- Preheat large Dutch oven or stock pot to a medium low heat.
- Once pan is preheated add fat/oil or choice. Let melt & immediately add the squash, onion, celery and carrot. Sauté stirring until golden coloring around the edges. Add minced garlic and stir continuously for about half a minute. Immediatelv add stock of choice a little at a time while deglazing the pan scraping with a heat-safe silicone spatula. Add orange juice, nutmeg, & ginger and simmer all ingredients till soft and tender about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the ingredients are soft use a stick immersion blender and purée til smooth. Add about half the coconut cream a good pinch of salt and some pepper then blend and taste.
- While the soup is simmering, start the cider reduction. Take the apple cider & place in sauce pot over medium heat. Stir cider regularly on medium to high heat. Reduce by at least half or till desired thickness. Using bowl of choice, ladle in desired amount of soup. Garnish with a circular drizzle of apple reduction. Add a dollop of whipped cream and nestle a chip into the cream.