Recipe from Michele Pallas and Penzeys in the Grand Rapids Press years ago
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (drop to 1/4 teaspoon if using salted butter)
- 6 tablespoons Butter, softened; plus a little for greasing the pie plate
- 1 cup White sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb. Strawberries, cleaned, hulled & halved
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla sugar (Combine 1 vanilla bean, whole or scraped, and 2 cups granulated sugar in a jar and seal tightly. Let sit for 1-2 weeks.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and add the egg, milk and vanilla. Reduce the speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pie plate. Arrange the strawberries on top, cut sides down, as close together as possible. Sprinkle vanilla sugar over the top of the berries. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and bake about 1 hour, until the cake is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Let cool in the pie plate and cut into wedges. Serve it plain, with whipped cream or with ice cream.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2021 by the Michigan Ag Council