Sweet Heat Street Beef Tacos
Sweet heat street beef tacos and kale tortilla chips with cherry salsa recipes from Bailley McConnell, Lauren MacDonald and Sara Peltier. The team prepared the recipe for the Michigan State University Extension/Isabella County Farm Bureau Teen “Chopped” Competition at the Isabella Community Soup Kitchen on November 4, 2017. The team earned the “Most Creative” award for their creation.
Time: 45 Minutes
Assemble tacos by layering rice, meat and kale in the soft shell using the following recipes:
- 3/4 lb Beef tips
- 1 Small yellow onion
- 2 Beef boullion cubes or powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1-2 cups Water
- Trim excess fat from the beef tips, tenderize, and cut meat into small pieces.
- Chop 1/2 of the small yellow onion.
- Place water, beef boullion, onion, and beef into a large pan; cook over medium heat.
- Combine spice, in a small bowl; all to pan with meat and oinion; continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes and then turn heat to low.
- 2 Beef boullion cube(s) or powder
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Brown rice (whole grain)
- Combine water, beef boullion, and rice in a medium sauce pan; cover and cook over high heat until contents boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off and keep covered until ready to serve.
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 tsp Dry mustard
- 1 bunch Kale
- Combine vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, and dry mustard in bowl;whisk until combined.
- Remove kale from the thick stem;wash thoroughly and remove excess water.
- Break kale into bite sized pieces.
- Pour saled dressing over kale; mix until thoroughly covered. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 4 Large carrots
- 1/2 cup Water
- 5 Tbs Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel carrots; shred and place in amocrowave safe dish with 1/2 cup water; microwave for 5 minutes.
- While this is cooking, combine flour and cheese in a bowl.
- Remove cooked carrots from the microwave; press water from the carrots.
- Add carrots to flour and cheese.
- Add eggs to the carrots, flour, and cheese; add more flour if needed for consistency.
- Make tortillas out of batter; cook on parchment paper for 15 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven and form into shells.
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
SUBSCRIBE TO MICHIGAN EATS
Find recipes, expert advice and information on today’s hot topics in food. Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, MI Foodie News.
GET IN TOUCH
Michigan Ag Council
P.O. Box 30960
Lansing, MI 48909-8460
Interested in becoming a Michigan Ag Council partner?
Learn more about our sponsorship opportunities.
All Content Copyright © 2019 by the Michigan Ag Council